The .afl Domain Name isa new generic top-level domain name (gTLD) that is dedicated to the Australian Football League and its clubs, players, officials and supporters. The .afl Domain Name will provide a ‘virtual home’ on the web for all those involved in Australian football at every level of the game – from grassroots participants right up to professional athletes.
.afl Domain Name is the first of its kind to be developed specifically for a sport in Australia, and follows successful launches of international football .football, cricket .cricketand sports-related domains including golf .golf.
The key benefits of having an official AFL gTLD are:
• Provides a memorable web address for the millions of Australians who participate in Australian football at all levels.
• Establishes a ‘digital turf’ where clubs, leagues and associations are able to have their own web space for their online presence.
• Provides an easily identifiable, globally recognised web address for AFL players, officials and staff worldwide.
• Creates greater connection between the AFL community and general public through their online participation in Australian football.
• Enables corporations to build commercial relationships with the AFL, clubs and state leagues.
Anyone can register a .afl domain name for their individual, club, league or government affiliated association. There are no restrictions on who can register a .afl domain name.
The Australian Football League is the official governing body for Australian football in Australia and has been appointed as the Registry Operator for this TLD. The AFL is a not-for-profit organisation responsible for governing the game at every level in Australia. It is responsible for promoting and developing the game, protecting its integrity and upholding the rules of football.
The .afl domain name is a new generic top-level domain (gTLD) that has been created by AFL specifically for its clubs, players, officials and supporters to use. A .com on the other hand, is a generic top-level domain that can be used by any person, company or organisation for any purpose.
Yes. All .afl domain names need to comply with the AFL’s Domain Name Registration Policy which outlines strict rules governing how an individual, club, league or association can register a .afl domain name. This includes guidelines such as:
• Registrants need to own rights to trademarks and/or copyright works relating to Australian football.
• The word ‘AFL’ must be included in the registered domain name (Domain Name Registration Policy, 2011).
All applicants must submit a completed Domain Name Registration Application Form as well as their official documentation demonstrating they have rights to the .afl domain name being applied for. This should include:
• The relevant trademark or copyright registration(s) that relate to Australian football and should either be owned by the applicant, or a licence agreement should exist with the owner of the trademark or copyright.
• The applicant needs to declare that they have permission from a recognised Australian competitor to use an AFL registered or protected word, image, logo or domain name as part of their application (Domain Name Registration Policy, 2011).
All registrations are priced at $130 AUD + GST per year. Registrations are subject to the AFL Domain Name Registration Policy.