The .android domain is a new top-level Internet domain name (TLD) that will be used to label Internet sites and other resources connected to handheld mobile devices powered by the Android operating system.
Put simply, the .android is a new top-level domain (TLD) name extension. That means you can now buy and use an Internet address with this extension just like any other - rating.apple or news.bbc for example.
The .android is directly connected to your Android device or device, so when you go to a website ending in .android, we know that the site should only ever be displayed on an Android device.
For example, if you wanted to link to a site with the address www.example.android would always be displayed on an Android device and never on any other type of device such as a computer or iPhone.
This provides three main advantages:
1. Simplicity - You use exactly the same address for Android devices and computers. For example, if you have both an iPhone and an Android phone the address to reach the website would be exactly the same www.example.com on both devices.
2. Security - You can be sure that any site ending in .android is displayed only to an Android device so you don't accidentally view an email with a photo on your computer in an email sent to you by a friend using their Android phone.
3. It's fast - Because we know that when a user types a .android address they want it displayed only to an Android device, the site is pre-loaded for faster loading time when they try and use it.
A website address with the .android extension will look similar to this example: www.google.android/nexus/7 This is an example of how it would look on your Android device.
The .android domain name works just like any other top-level domain, so you can register and use .android names just like you would a standard .com or .net address. It's easy to get started - simply sign up with GoDaddy to get your own .android site.
The .android domain name is now available and you can register your own name via GoDaddy or any other domain registrar of your choice.
If you don't register a .android name, a third party may choose to do so and there is no guarantee that the third party's use of this domain name will be related to Android.
In other words, if you don't buy it, someone else could buy yourname.android and use it for something entirely different from your intentions.
So make sure you register your own name today!
Domain Extension Availability Period:
- The .android domain name is available for registration now.
Domain Extension Initial Registration Period:
- The initial registration period of a new domain will expire after one or two years, so you need to renew it accordingly.
.android domains can be registered only by the members of the Android community.
You are not authorized to register .android domain if you do not meet this requirement.
In order to avail and register a .android domain name, the registrant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- He/She should be an individual member of the Android community.
- Company or legal entities cannot apply for a .android domain name. The applicant should have complete knowledge about technical and administrative requirements related to domains and websites.
- Google is not responsible for any omissions or errors made by registrars.