The .hiv domain name is a top-level domain (TLD) name that is specifically reserved for HIV-related websites.
HIV is a major cause of death worldwide. There are still many people who are infected by the HIV virus without knowing it.
A big problem with this is that their bodies can't handle the infection if they later present symptoms or when it is too late to treat them. Most likely these people will also infect other people by having unprotected sex, sharing syringes for using drugs, etcetera.
One of the ways in which we try to stop this from happening is by raising awareness of the disease and its consequences.
By doing so we hope some people decide not to take any risk or don't engage in risky behavior any more or even get tested to see if they are already infected but don't exhibit any symptoms yet.
Why is the .hiv domain name important?
The .hiv domain name is meant to make it easy for Internet users to find reliable information on HIV, AIDS, and other health issues related to these topics.
Building awareness through education about HIV/AIDS is one of the main objectives of this new TLD. Not only does it increase access to information, but it also provides a sense of community for those who are living with or affected by HIV/AIDS.
What are the characters and valid character lengths for .hiv domain names?
A .hiv domain name can have a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 63 characters. The following ASCII characters are permitted:
- A to Z
- 0 to 9
- hyphen (-)
The following symbols cannot be included in a .hiv domain name: &, ', ".
Why should I buy a .hiv domain name?
There are a number of reasons why you might want to consider buying a .hiv domain name:
- To help raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and related health issues
- To educate people about ways to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS
- To provide information and support for people living with HIV/AIDS
- To inform people about how they can get tested for HIV/AIDS
- For an AIDS organization or health clinic that needs a professional online address.
- To provide a sense of community for those who are living with or affected by HIV/AIDS
- To make it easy for Internet users to find reliable information on HIV, AIDS, and other health issues related to these topics
Who cannot buy a .hiv domain name?
The following groups of people are not allowed to buy a .hiv domain name:
- Government organizations or agencies
- Hospitals or clinics
- AIDS organizations that are not registered charities
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Alternative medicine practitioners
- Any individual or organization that does not have a genuine link to the HIV/AIDS sector
So, if you are an individual or organization that meets one of the above criteria, you cannot purchase a .hiv domain name.