.ID represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Indonesia. Registry of this domain suffix is operated by PANDI.
Aside from being used as Indonesia’s internet extension code, ID is also used to abbreviate other words. Popular meaning for ID include: identification (document), Idaho (state), idem (Latin), interior department (government), I do (wedding), etc.
There is no special process needed to register a .ID domain name, no special action is needed on your end.
A .id is a domain name that is specifically designed for the use by individuals and businesses based in Indonesia. It is one of the country-code top level domain names (ccTLD) managed by PT.NIC, an agency under Ministry of Communication and Informatics in Indonesia.
Who can use a .id Domain name?
Anyone who is a citizen or permanent resident of Indonesia. If you are not, but wish to use .id domain name for your business in the country, you can still get it at cheaper prices by getting registered with PT.NIC as an authorized registrar through its partnership program (APRP). There are more than 300 local and international registrars who were authorized by PT.NIC to sell .id domain names and related products/services online or through their branches across the country.
Who regulates .id Domain Name?
Domain name regulation in Indonesia is under Ministry of Communication and Informatics (Ministry). It was established since 2002 until now, after the separation of telecommunication and informatics sector. The ministry is responsible for developing information communication infrastructure, telecommunications, multimedia development as well as internet development in Indonesia.
Tips to choose ideal .id Domain Name
The best .id domain names are short, specific and easily remembered. When buying a .id domain name, make sure to stick with the rules and regulations provided by PT.NIC in order not to face any legal issues or get your website down. For instance, the .id domain name should be a combination of minimum two and maximum 63 characters, can include numbers and letters while avoiding special characters.
Common subdomains for .id Domain
Some common subdomains for .id domain name are:
- com.id - This is the most popular subdomain. It is a combination of two words i.e.
com (commercial) and id (Indonesian). Therefore, it can be used by both local or international companies that want to do business in Indonesia
- edu.id - This domain name extension is often preferred by educational institutions for their .id domain names.
- gov.id - This is used by government organizations, both local or international in nature, who want to establish their presence online in Indonesia
Can you register .id Domain Without Local Presence?
- my.id - This domain name extension is for individuals who want to establish their online presence in Indonesia.
- co.id - This domain name allows only limited categories of companies and organizations that operate in the country, such as banks and insurance companies etc.
What documents do you need to register .id Domain Name?
For registration of a new .id domain name, you need to submit the following documents:
- Copy of your passport
- Local ID (KTP) and photocopy
- Proof of address in Indonesia such as utility bill or bank statement not older than three months. You can also provide a copy of valid visa for individuals who are residing outside the country on a temporary basis.
How much does .id Domain Name cost?
The average price of a new .id domain name is $22 per year and the renewal fee is around $15/year. If you choose to use either co.id or my.id as your extension, then it will be slightly cheaper than other extensions. However, you can also register .id domain names for free through PT.NIC's "Domain Promo" program if the requirement is fulfilled under this promo.