The .legal domain name is a new generic top-level domain (gTLD) for lawyers, companies offering legal services, customers who are currently using or considering using legal services, and many others that participate in the global legal community.
Why choose the .legal domain name?
Many uses can be found for the .legal domain name:
• A trusted resource for legal information, such as details about law or regulations.
• A registry operator providing global support for registrars and resellers operating in the Legal vertical.
• A registry operator running a self-service portal to allow registrants, resellers, and other members of the Legal community to manage domains.
• An individual lawyer or company offering legal services who want to create an online presence with their own domain name.
• A registrar for legal professionals and companies who wish to target this vertical.
• A portal to connect like-minded Legal industry participants such as law firms, bar associations, and professional organizations.
• An organization that provides services to lawyers and their customers, including system administrators and customer service.
• Businesses involved in legal contracts and agreements who wish to establish themselves more prominently on the web with a distinct online identity.
• An individual or organization looking for a shorter and more relevant URL when compared to other legal terms.
What are the benefits of using the .legal domain name?
If you are an attorney, law firm, administrator, compliance professional, government representative, student, researcher, a citizen who is passionate about the Law and Legal community or simply want to be part of this growing industry then there are many benefits to registering your .legal domain name:
• Your own Legal web address that can be used on any of your online marketing campaigns such as business cards and email signatures.
• Your own Legal web address for use in social media corresponding with your audience where they already reside.
• A simpler option than other top-level domain names when it comes to representing your brand or company online.
• A trusted source for Legal information and news.
What are the requirements for registering a .legal domain name?
There is some requirement that must be met in order to register a .legal domain name.
1) The registrant must be a lawyer, a company offering legal services, a customer who is currently using or considering using legal services, or another member of the global legal community.
2) The registrant must provide documentation to prove they meet one of the requirements listed above.
3) The domain name must be related to the legal industry in some way.
4) The registrant must agree to the terms and conditions of registration set forth by the .legal registry operator.
5) The domain name cannot be registered for offensive or illegal use.
6) The registrant cannot claim rights to the .legal domain name if they are not an authorized representative for this legal community.
What are the common second-level .legal domains?
The .legal domain name is a gTLD that will include second-level domains such as:
• .law – individuals who work in the legal profession or law students.
• .attorney – individual attorneys and law firms.
• .bar – local bar associations, national bars, and international bars with an interest in the legal industry.
• .judiciary – members of the judiciary including judges, magistrates, justices of the peace, and other court officials involved in upholding laws within a community or a country's judicial system as a whole.