What are the restrictions for the registration .sh domain?
A 2nd-level .sh domain registration requires a local presence. Registrants also need to be either Saint Helenians or Ascension Islanders (or residents of), or businesses with a registered office.
The 2nd-level .sh domain registration is restricted to entities connected with Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha. 3rd level domain can be registered by people living in the country or abroad.
The general requirements are the professional or academic qualification for second-level registrations and permanent residency on Saint Helena for third-level registrations.
What are the permissible character lengths for domain names with a .sh extension?
Domain names with a .sh extension must have no more than 63 characters.
The hyphen (-) is not allowed, neither are the full stops (.) and commas (,). The letters used must be of Latin origin.
Domain names are composed entirely of the letters (a-z) and numbers (0-9), with neither spaces nor underscores (_).
As with all new ccTLDs, there are some restrictions on the registration of domain names containing certain characters which are as follows:
- Domain names may not start or end with a hyphen and cannot contain consecutive hyphens.
- Domain names may not start or end with a full stop and cannot contain consecutive full stops.
- Domain names may not start or end with an underscore and cannot contain consecutive underscores.
- Domain names must not begin or end with, nor include the letters "a" (in upper or lower case) to "z", "A" (in upper or lower case) to "Z", or "0" (in upper or lower case) to "9".
- Domain names must not contain any other special characters.
Why should I purchase a .sh domain name?
They are also used often by many companies and individuals specializing in communications and project management.
This will allow you to grow your brand awareness worldwide.
It is a good idea to register your .sh domain name, as it will help to ensure that all of the web traffic directed to your site is fully optimized.
After you have obtained and installed a .sh domain name, you will need to change some settings on your DNS or website so they point towards the new server. A lot of website hosts provide this service for you.
- A unique and trusted web address that is easy to remember.
- Better branding as the .sh domain extension is part of the country code top-level domains (ccTLDs). This can help your company build trust with customers who are wary of buying from sources outside of the country as it provides them with a sense of security and trust.
- The .sh domain name is an extension that can be used by any type of business or person. It does not carry any restrictions and therefore, gives you the freedom to choose how you want your website to look and what features it will contain.
- Your site will have a more streamlined and professional appearance.
- You can get your own .sh domain name for 3 years or longer. This is ideal to build the trust of targeted visitors to your website.