A .sx domain name is a specific type of Internet domain name which consists of two parts. It begins with the three-letter code representing the country whose name is to be used, followed by an underscore and then the two-letter ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code associated with this country.
For Sint Maarten (SX), the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code is Sx.
A .sx domain name has three main uses:
(1) an Internet Protocol address, for sites located in St. Maarten; this may be useful to visitors from overseas as the suffix invokes images of this Caribbean paradise;
(2) a language-independent second-level domain name for businesses, associations, clubs, and individuals located in St. Maarten;
(3) a third-level domain name that can be used to identify specific websites or services.
Why use a .sx domain extension?
.sx domain names are an excellent choice for your website, email address, and online identity.
They're available to anyone around the world and indicate that you're doing business or creating a site associated with Sint Maarten (SX).
Also, this extension is popular among sports leagues, local community groups, chambers of commerce, and online retail markets.
In addition to being a popular choice because of its connection with Sint Maarten itself, the .SX domain has been gaining in popularity due to its use by several different kinds of businesses and organizations involved with car racing.
In particular, this domain extension has become popular among racing leagues, tracks, and associations for its apt description of fast-moving cars on a racetrack.
Finally, .sx is also the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) in the Domain Name System of the Internet for Sint Maarten. As such, it can be used for any purpose.
What documents do you need to register .sx Domain Name?
In order to register a .sx domain, the registrant must provide:
1. Two alternative names for the registry in case both Top-Level Domain names are unavailable.
2. The Organization's / Trade Name and/or an abbreviation of it.
3. An official contact person who holds citizenship in Sint Maarten (SX).
4. A contact email address, which has to be hosted on a local server (i.e., an IP address or domain name that resolves to an IP address in Sint Maarten)
5. One of the following contacts:
(a) An organization with its seat in St. Maarten;
(b) A company or business name approved by the Registry; or
(c) An individual with a minimum of 18 years and who is a citizen and resident in St. Maarten (SX); or
(d) An individual with a valid address, phone number, and email address that is physically hosted on Sint Maarten (SX).
6. A copy of a valid document that confirms the correspondence between the name, physical address, and email address
What are the character restrictions for .sx domain names?
Sx is an internationalized domain name (IDN), which allows domain names to be displayed in a user's language and script.
Domain names can consist of letters, numbers, and hyphens. Umlauts are not allowed, i.e., ä, ö, ü. The only special character allowed is the hyphen.
Domain names must start with a letter or a number, and end with a letter or a number; they can contain only letters and numbers and hyphens (no umlauts).
Domain names are composed of the letters a-z, digits, and hyphens.
The total number of characters is limited to 63, but individual labels are limited to a maximum of 30 characters.